How to Choose Garden Storage
Today, with the trend to spend more time enjoying our gardens, attractive and practical garden storage solutions for tools, mowers, compost and furniture is of paramount importance. Most people opt for a traditional garden shed. When choosing a shed, there are a couple of things to take into consideration. Firstly the material - wood or metal? Next, choose the style of roof - apex or pent apex? Apex sheds come to a point in the middle while pent roofs slope in one direction from high to low. In smaller gardens and if you've outgrown your existing shed, you can also buy low-maintenance, polypropylene storage units.
Key points to consider
In all cases it's important to determine your needs and intended use including choice of materials and location for your shed and garden storage units:
- Wood has natural insulation properties that will keep the inside warm so it's ideal for gardeners. To keep a wooden shed in good condition however, you will need to re-coat it with a suitable paint or stain every few years.
- Wood blends in well with natural garden surroundings.
- Metal galvanised steel sheds will not warp, swell or split in the way that wood can.
- Polypropylene storage is virtually maintenance free, lightweight and easier to re-position or dismantle and rebuild.
- Avoid placing your shed under large trees as you might have problems with falling branches or large roots - plus you will almost certainly have problems with moss growth and discolouration.
- Locate your storage next to a path as walking back and forth across a lawn will cause grass to become muddy and damp, especially during winter.
- Give yourself enough room all around for easier painting, cleaning and maintenance.
Tool Storage Keep Things Tidy
If you trip over spades, rakes and forks every time you open the door of your shed, you need a tidy way to store your tools with our range of sturdy metal tool racks. Available in a 40"-long or two-tier versions, they are equipped with plenty of hooks to keep your garden tools, hand tools and even clothing stored neatly saving valuable floor space for mowers and bikes.
Protect Your Garden Furniture from the Elements
Some of our garden furniture, such as our faux rattan collection, can be safely left out in any weather, but wooden and real wicker pieces will need protection from the elements. We offer a range of sturdy, weather-resistant furniture covers to keep your chairs, tables and benches from damage and wear throughout the year.
Gathering Winter Fuel
If you have an open fire or wood burner, log storage can be a real problem. You don't want shavings and sawdust in the house or in the porch, but you need a constant supply to feed the fire. Our Cotswold country log store will keep your fuel close at hand. Measuring 47" x 47" x 17", it will store well over 100 good-sized logs - enough to keep the home fire burning for a long time! Made of slatted wood with a waterproof, asphalt sloping roof, it will keep your logs tidy and dry all the better to burn.