Step-by-step Guide: How to Measure for Curtains
Measuring for curtains takes a little time and effort and the following rules are essential when selecting the correct sizes for your windows:
- Use a metal tape measure for accuracy.
- Decide whether you want your curtains to hang from a pole or track - both should be fitted 6" above the top of the window and extend 6" - 8" either side.
- To ensure accurate measurements, make sure the pole or track is fitted before measuring for the curtains.
- Measure the total width of the pole (excluding the finials) and add 1" for overlap when the curtains are closed to prevent a central gap.
The total width of both curtains should be two-and-a-half times the width of the track or pole.
- Sill length curtains should sit half-an-inch above the sill.
- Below-sill curtains should sit 6" beneath.
- Full length curtains should sit half-an-inch above the floor to prevent them from fraying or picking up dust.
- For a more decadent or romantic look, you can simply let them trail loosely on the floor.
For poles, measure from the 'eye' - the small metal ring at the bottom of each curtain ring.
For tracks, measure from the top of the track.